The Wrath of Rollins.
The eighth annual WWE Extreme Rules came to you, live on the WWE Network, from the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. In a battle over the WWE World Heavyweight Championship that has been raging since the night after WrestleMania, things only continue to get more intense and more personal between #1 Contender AJ Styles and WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns as both Superstars have involved their respective allies with The Usos joining Roman to combat AJ Styles and his running buddies Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson. In recent weeks, both Reigns and Styles have proven that they are ready to take it to the extreme as both champion and challenger have used steel chairs on each other and both men have put the other through the announce table. Now, at Extreme Rules, there will be no holding back as there will be no disqualifications and no count-outs when Roman Reigns defends the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against AJ Styles in an Extreme Rules Match!
In a feud that initially began over talk shows, the rivalry between Dean Ambrose and Chris Jericho has certainly gotten more personal with Chris Jericho putting Dean Ambrose in the hospital after smashing a potted plant over Ambrose’s head, as well as putting “The Lunatic Fringe” in a straightjacket and assaulting him. These attacks by Chris Jericho would inadvertently inspire Dean Ambrose to come up with a brand new concept, the Asylum Match. Never before seen in WWE, the Asylum Match will see both Dean Ambrose and Chris Jericho locked inside a steel cage with various weapons and implements, including a straightjacket, a kendo stick, a potted plant, a leather strap, and a fire extinguisher, hanging above the cage. However, unlike a standard cage match, exiting the cage will not end the match as the only way to win an Asylum Match is by either pinfall or submission in the ring. With nowhere to run and weapons aplenty inside the Asylum, will Extreme Rules be the last we see of either Dean Ambrose or Chris Jericho? Who will survive the first ever Asylum Match and what lengths will these two men go to in order to defeat the other?
At Payback earlier this month, the Intercontinental Championship match between champion The Miz and challenger Cesaro was interrupted by an ongoing brawl between Sami Zayn and Kevin Owens, which would end up costing Cesaro the title. Since that night, all four men have staked claim to the title and all four men have proved their worthiness of being the next champion, so at Extreme Rules, The Miz will defend the Intercontinental Championship in a Fatal 4-Way Match against Cesaro, Kevin Owens, & Sami Zayn with the first Superstar to score a pinfall or submission will leave Extreme Rules as the Intercontinental Champion.
For almost the entire time that Charlotte has been on the main roster, she has had her two-time Hall of Fame father Ric Flair accompanying her to the ring with “The Dirtiest Player in the Game” playing a crucial role in Charlotte retaining her championship on countless occasions and, at Payback, Flair used longtime family friend and referee Charles Robinson to help his daughter retain the Women’s Championship. Now, for the first time in months, Charlotte will be forced to go it alone at Extreme Rules when she defends the Women’s Championship against Natalya in a Submission Match where the only way to win is by making your opponent submit and, in addition, Ric Flair will be banned from ringside and, if “The Nature Boy” does not comply, then Charlotte will be forced to forfeit the Women’s Title! Can Charlotte prove to the world that she does not need her father’s help to remain champion or will Natalya prove to everyone that Charlotte has been using her father as a crutch her entire career by making Charlotte submit and becoming the new Women’s Champion?
In a rivalry that goes back to when Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson arrived in WWE, where they assaulted The Usos, Gallows & Anderson are now firmly on the side of their longtime friend AJ Styles while The Usos have been there for their cousin, WWE World Heavyweight Champion Roman Reigns. With Reigns and Styles set to clash in an Extreme Rules Match for the WWE World Heavyweight Championship, their respective allies would square off at Extreme Rules when The Usos face Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson in a Tornado Tag Team Match, where all four men in the match will be legal in the ring at the same time! Also at Extreme Rules, the WWE Tag Team Titles would be up for grabs when The New Day defends the titles for the first time ever against The Vaudevillains. In addition, Kalisto would once again be up against a much larger opponent as the high-flyer would defend the United States Championship against “The Bulgarian Brute” Rusev.
- No DQ: Kickoff Exclusive: Baron Corbin def. Dolph Ziggler by pin following the End of Days after a low blow.
- Tornado Tag Team Match: Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson def. The Usos by Luke Gallows pinning Jimmy Uso following the Magic Killer after Jimmy Uso misses the Uso Splash and lands on the ring bell.
- United States Championship: Rusev (with Lana) def. Kalisto (c) by submission to the Accolade to win the United States Title.
- WWE Tag Team Championship: Big E & Xavier Woods (c) (with Kofi Kingston) def. The Vaudevillains by Xavier Woods (c) pinning Simon Gotch following the running knee after Kofi Kingston (c) hits Simon Gotch with Trouble in Paradise to retain.
- Intercontinental Championship: Fatal 4-Way: The Miz (c) (with Maryse) def. Cesaro, Kevin Owens, & Sami Zayn by pinning Cesaro after the Helluva Kick by Sami Zayn to retain.
- Asylum Match: Dean Ambrose def. Chris Jericho by pin following Dirty Deeds on thumbtacks.
- Women’s Championship: Submission Match: Ric Flair Banned: Charlotte (c) def. Natalya by submission to the Figure-Eight after a distraction from Dana Brooke to retain.
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Extreme Rules Match: Roman Reigns (c) def. AJ Styles by pin following a mid-air Spear to retain.
See page 2 for detailed results.