Learning from the Best.
The third annual WWE Payback came to you, live on the WWE Network and select pay-per-view providers, from the Royal Farms in Baltimore, MD. Payback would prove to be an appropriate name for every match on the card, but the main event would feature a triple dose of potential payback as WWE World Heavyweight Champion Seth Rollins would have to put the gold on the line against three Superstars who have had issues with the champion on more than one occasion as the self-proclaimed “Future of WWE” would defend the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against “The Viper” Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, and “The Lunatic Fringe” Dean Ambrose in a Fatal 4-Way Match where the first man to score a pinfall or submission will walk out as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion! In addition, if Seth Rollins does not walk out as the champion, then WWE COO Triple H has decreed that the man responsible for the match, Director of Operations Kane, will be relieved of his duties!
Since WWE Fastlane back in February, John Cena and Rusev have waged absolute war against each other with John Cena ultimately defeating the undefeated Rusev at WrestleMania to win the United States Championship and following that up with a grueling victory over Rusev in a Russian Chain Match at Extreme Rules. Now, at Payback, these two Superstars would collide one last time as John Cena sets out to prove America’s bravery and resolve to Rusev firsthand as Cena puts the United States Championship on the line against “The Super Athlete” in an “I Quit” Match, where the only way to win is by making your opponent say the words, “I Quit”!
At Extreme Rules, The New Day used some questionable tactics to best Cesaro & Tyson Kidd to become the new WWE Tag Team Champions and, since then, the trio of positive thinkers have utilized their numbers advantage in an attempt to fend off the former tag champions, but Cesaro & Kidd have proven to be capable of dealing with all three members of The New Day and Payback would see these two teams square off again as The New Day would put the WWE Tag Team Titles on the line against Cesaro & Tyson Kidd in a 2-out-of-3 Falls Match where the first team to score two falls by either pinfall, submission, disqualification, or count-out will leave Payback as the WWE Tag Team Champions.
In recent weeks, Bray Wyatt has inexplicably targeted Ryback, claiming that “The Big Guy” is hiding his true self behind his muscular exterior and vowing that he will turn Ryback’s “dream” into a “nightmare” and, at Payback, Ryback would have the chance to prove the self-proclaimed “New Face of Fear” wrong when Ryback goes one-on-one with Bray Wyatt.
Despite winning their Kiss Me Arse Match at Extreme Rules, Dolph Ziggler’s night ended with an unconscious Dolph being forced to kiss the ‘arse’ of Sheamus. An act that “The Showoff” will no doubt be looking to repay when he goes one-on-one with Sheamus at Payback. Also, in the continuing rivalry between the 2015 King of the Ring King Barrett and “The New Sensation” Neville, these two UK born Superstars would square off at Payback.
Upset over not getting what she believed to be an earned title shot, Naomi has completely transformed as a human being, turning her focus to destroying The Bella Twins and become the Divas Champion in the process by enlisting the help of the returning Tamina. However, at Payback, there will be no sneak attacks when Brie Bella and Divas Champion Nikki Bella square off against Naomi & Tamina in tag team competition.
- Kickoff Match: The Ascension def. The Mega Powers by Konnor pinning “Macho Mandow” following the Fall of Man.
- Kickoff Match: R-Truth def. Stardust
- Sheamus def. Dolph Ziggler by pin following the Brogue Kick.
- WWE Tag Team Championship: 2-out-of-3 Falls: First Fall: Cesaro & Tyson Kidd (with Natalya) def. Big E & Kofi Kingston (c) (with Xavier Woods) by Tyson Kidd pinning Kofi Kingston (c) following the Cesaro Swing/Tyson Kidd Dropkick.
- WWE Tag Team Championship: 2-out-of-3 Falls: Second Fall: Big E & Kofi Kingston (c) (with Xavier Woods) def. Cesaro & Tyson Kidd (with Natalya) by Kofi Kingston (c) pinning Tyson Kidd following the double team Big Ending.
- WWE Tag Team Championship: 2-out-of-3 Falls: Third Fall: Big E & Kofi Kingston (c) (with Xavier Woods) def. Cesaro & Tyson Kidd (with Natalya) by Xavier Woods (c) illegally rolling up Cesaro to retain.
- Bray Wyatt def. Ryback by pin following Sister Abigail.
- United States Championship: “I Quit” Match: John Cena (c) def. Rusev (with Lana) after Lana quits on Rusev’s behalf to retain.
- Naomi & Tamina def. The Bella Twins by Naomi pinning Nikki Bella after knocking Nikki Bella off of the top rope.
- Neville def. King Barrett by count-out.
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Fatal 4-Way: Seth Rollins (c) (with Kane and J&J Security) def. Randy Orton, Roman Reigns, & Dean Ambrose by pinning Randy Orton following the Pedigree to retain.
See page 2 for detailed results.