The eighth annual WWE Extreme Rules will come to you, live on the WWE Network, this Sunday night, May 22, at 8/7c from the Prudential Center in Newark, NJ. As announced on RAW, this year’s Extreme Rules event will be home to the first ever Asylum Match. Here is the updated card:
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Extreme Rules Match: Roman Reigns (c) vs. AJ Styles
- Asylum Match: Dean Ambrose vs. Chris Jericho
- Intercontinental Championship: Fatal 4-Way: The Miz (c) vs. Cesaro vs. Kevin Owens vs. Sami Zayn
- Women’s Championship: Submission Match: Ric Flair Banned: Charlotte (c) vs. Natalya
- WWE Tag Team Championship: The New Day (c) vs. The Vaudevillains
- United States Championship: Kalisto (c) vs. Rusev (with Lana)
- No Disqualifications: Kickoff Exclusive: Dolph Ziggler vs. Baron Corbin
The Extreme Rules Kickoff show will air exclusively on the WWE Network starting an hour before the pay-per-view at 7/6c. The Kickoff show will feature analysis from the Kickoff Panel of Renee Young, Corey Graves, Booker T, & Jerry “The King” Lawler and will also feature the No Disqualifications match between Dolph Ziggler and Baron Corbin.
In the first ever Asylum Match, both Dean Ambrose and Chris Jericho will be locked inside a steel cage. Hanging above the cage will be various weapons, including a straightjacket, a fire extinguisher, a leather strap, and a two-by-four wrapped in barbed wire. Unlike a traditional steel cage match, escaping the cage either over the top or through the door will not end the match. The only way for the match to end is by pinfall or submission in the ring with no disqualifications and no count-outs.
In the Submission Match for the Women’s Championship, not only is Ric Flair banned from ringside, but if the Hall of Famer even makes an appearance during the match, then Charlotte will be forced to forfeit the Women’s Championship.
What do you think of the Asylum Match? Post your comments in the box below.