Rise of the Deadman.
The third annual WWE Battleground came to you, live on the WWE Network and select pay-per-view providers, from the Scottrade Center in St. Louis, MO. Back at WrestleMania, Seth Rollins etched his name in history by cashing in his Money-in-the-Bank contract during a WWE World Heavyweight Title match between then champion Brock Lesnar and Roman Reigns, ultimately pinning Roman Reigns to become the new WWE World Heavyweight Champion. Now, at Battleground, the man who was never pinned to lose the title, Brock Lesnar, is gunning for Seth Rollins and the WWE World Heavyweight Championship as “The Beast” has systematically destroyed J&J Security and Kane, leaving Rollins to defend the championship on his own against the hungry Lesnar. The brash champion insists that he will “burn Suplex City to the ground”, but can Seth Rollins do what the likes of John Cena and The Undertaker could not do by conquering “The Beast”? Does Seth Rollins have some sort of master plan to deal with Brock Lesnar or will St. Louis be transformed into “Suplex City” with Brock Lesnar reigning again as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion?
At WWE Elimination Chamber, Kevin Owens shocked the world by defeating John Cena in their initial encounter, but Cena would avenge this loss at Money-in-the-Bank with a victory over Kevin Owens. A lot has changed in the month since their rematch at Money-at-the-Bank as, in their last two meetings, it was a Champion vs. Champion affair, but after Kevin Owens lost the NXT Championship to Finn Balor at the Beast in the East special in Tokyo on July 4, Kevin Owens is a man without a championship and, at Battleground, the fighting United States Champion John Cena will put the prestigious United States Championship on the line against the brash and disrespectful Kevin Owens in the rubber match between these two rivals. With their first two matches becoming instant classics, will their third live up to the hype, especially considering that, this time, the United States Championship is on the line?
At Money-in-the-Bank last month, Bray Wyatt inexplicably interfered in the Money-in-the-Bank Ladder Match, costing Roman Reigns what appeared to be a certain and career-changing victory for “The Big Dog” and, since then, Bray Wyatt has waged mental warfare against Roman Reigns, dominating most of their rivalry from a mental standpoint. However, Roman Reigns has had enough of the mind games from “The New Face of Fear” and, at Battleground, Roman Reigns will go one-on-one with Bray Wyatt.
In a match between two Superstars who simply cannot stand each other, St. Louis’ own Randy Orton would be in action at Battleground as “The Viper” would collided with “Mr. Money-in-the-Bank” Sheamus in what is sure to be a physical and unforgiving encounter. The WWE Tag Team Titles would also be on the line at Battleground as The Prime Time Players would defend the tag team division’s top prize against the former champions The New Day in a rematch from their championship match at Money-in-the-Bank.
- Battle for the Crown: Kickoff Exclusive: King Barrett def. R-Truth by pin following the Royal Bull Hammer to maintain control of the crown.
- Randy Orton def. Sheamus by pin following the RKO.
- WWE Tag Team Championship: The Prime Time Players (c) def. Big E & Kofi Kingston (with Xavier Woods) by Titus O’Neil (c) pinning Big E following the Clash of the Titus to retain.
- Bray Wyatt (with Luke Harper) def. Roman Reigns by pin following Sister Abigail.
- Triple Threat Match: Non-Title: Charlotte (with Paige & Becky Lynch) def. Brie Bella (with Nikki Bella & Alicia Fox) & Sasha Banks (with Naomi & Tamina) by Brie Bella tapping out to Charlotte’s Figure-Eight.
- United States Championship: John Cena (c) def. Kevin Owens by submission to the STF to retain.
- WWE World Heavyweight Championship: Seth Rollins (c) and Brock Lesnar (with Paul Heyman) fight to a No Contest after The Undertaker appears. As a result, Seth Rollins (c) retains.
See page 2 for detailed results.